Looking for how you can start a keto diet on a budget?
Many people tend to believe that diets especially low-carb diets are expensive.
But this could not be further from the truth.
It’s a misconception with just a tiny bit of truth.
A vast majority of cheap foods as we know are in the carb group.
Pasta, bread, oats, and beans are to name a few and they are everyone’s go-to cheap meals.
Doing a diet void of that leaves you with a very little room to save on groceries.
Keto diet, a super low-carb diet is one example of a diet that’s hard to shop for on a budget.
It’s mostly constructed of fats, protein and a bit of carb from vegetables and fruits.
No simple carbs, no highly-processed foods are considered keto foods.
So how to make eating keto dirt cheap?
It’s by knowing what cheap foods you can eat on keto. And it’s how you eat keto on a tight budget.
Another key to saving money on a keto diet, or on any diet is to keep things simple.
Keep your shopping simple and your meals clean. They not only help you save money, but it will also help you make healthier keto dishes.
For example, let’s shop for keto foods on a budgets
20 Best Keto Foods You Can Buy for Cheap (prices as of Sep. 2019, Hawaii)
- Eggs ($2.72 /dozen at Walmart)
- Canned Tuna ($0.99 at Target)
- Canned Salmon ($1.77 at Target)
- Chicken Leg ($ 1.55/lb at Target)
- Bacon ($4.18/ pack at Walmart)
- Ground Turkey ($2.98/lb at Walmart)
- Ham ($1.32/lb at Walmart)
- Pork Loin ($2.39/lb at Safeway)
- Lettuce ($1.13/head at Costco)
- Cabbage ($0.70/lb at Walmart)
- Cucumber ($0.60/each at Walmart)
- Zucchini ($1.42/lb at Walmart)
- Bell Pepper ($0.62/each at Whole Foods)
- Canned Tomatoes ($0.86/can at Walmart)
- Sour Cream ($1.19/8 oz at Target)
- Cream Cheese ($1.75/8 oz at Walmart)
- Cottage Cheese ($3.59/24oz at Safeway)
- Coconut Milk ($1.31/13.5 oz can at Target)
- Coconut Oil ($4.67/ 14 fl oz at Target)
- Avocado ($0.29/each at Target)
Basing these cheap keto foods, you can come up with countless healthy keto diet meals.
Let’s take a look at these 31 keto meals you can make with them.
11 Cheap Keto Breakfast Ideas
- Bacon, hard-boiled egg, and slices of avocado
- Cubed ham and cream cheese on cucumber slices
- Cottage cheese with berries
- Baked egg avocado cup
- Sunnyside up eggs cooked in coconut oil, lettuce, bell pepper, and slices of avocado
- Italian baked eggs with tomato cans
- Egg muffins with bell peppers, ham, and shredded cheese
- Keto bulletproof coffee with coconut oil
- Hard-boiled eggs with veggie sticks and cream cheese
- BLT lettuce sandwich with fresh tomato
- Cabbage hash browns with ham
6 Low-Carb Keto Snacks
- Deviled eggs
- Guacamole with bell pepper sticks
- Ham and cheese
- Zucchini chips baked in coconut oil
- Tuna salad on cucumber slices
- Baked cottage cheese chips
5 Keto Lunch Recipes
- Shredded chicken salad with greens
- Shredded cauliflower rice with ground turkey
- Ground turkey stuffed zucchini boat
- Tuna salad wrap with lettuce
- Ham and cheese quiche
- Avocado egg salad with veggie sticks
10 Keto Diet Dinner Recipes
- Simple cottage cheese lasagna with tomato sauce and ground meat
- Ham, broccoli, and cheese casserole
- Chicken Thai curry with coconut milk, onion, and bell peppers
- Grilled pork loin with a green salad
- Zucchini noodle with cream cheese alfredo sauce
- Meatloaf with tomato sauce and melting the cheese inside
- Meatballs with a side of broccoli and cauliflower
- Stuffed bell peppers with cheese
- Salmon salad on a bowl of fresh salad with avocado
- Grilled chicken legs with cucumber salad Keto Diet on a Budget